Friday, October 31, 2014

Fitness Friday: Maintaining a Healthy Routine After Baby

This Fitness Friday is a guest post from a lovely mama who inspires me (Jenn) with her motivation to be healthy.  She was awesome enough to write a guest post this week about getting back into a healthy routine post-baby.  You can check out her personal blog over at onehealthyapple.blogspot.com 

Hi PenPal Productions Readers! My name is Yelena (pronounced Ye-lay-na) and I blog (rather infrequently) at onehealthyapple.blogspot.com.  I’m honored to post on this cute corner of the Interwebz and share a bit about how my family keeps up a healthy routine with a very active toddler and a busy schedule, without losing our minds (completely) or ourselves, as many parents do, after welcoming their bundle of joy.

I’m a self-proclaimed health junkie- mostly out of necessity, as I grew up as an overweight kid and teenager. I also saw how unhealthy my grandparents became in their old age and I knew I had to do something (or a lot of things) differently.  Luckily, I also married a bona fide health freak and together we ate healthy foods, hiked, worked out, and enjoyed our separate health interests (me: yoga, hubby: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).

I worked out through my whole 41+ week pregnancy with my little boy and felt great. I was smug and could not figure out how people didn’t make time for health and fitness with kids and ‘those people’ were lazy. And then the shit hit the fan. I had a sweet little boy who never slept, didn’t take a bottle if I was anywhere in smelling distance, and I was tired. So very tired.  Now that I’m barely out of the baby stage, I wanted to share some of the things that helped me get back on track right after baby, and what we do now to maintain our health:

Right After Baby:
  • Give yourself some grace. Yes, I had gained 35 pounds, but I also just gave birth. Once I forgave myself and let go of this guilt, I felt much better.
  • Start small. Nope, I couldn’t take a whole 75-minute vinyasa flow class, but I could wear the baby and go for walks, so I walked a lot. When that got better, I did quick YouTube workouts, jogged (slowly), or went to the gym for a half hour at a time.
  • Make healthy options available. I couldn’t cook all the time, but I could buy Greek yogurt, fruit, grains, and lean protein. When I was famished from feeding the baby all the time, I at least had some smart choices.
  • Communicate. I had to tell my husband that I didn’t feel like myself without exercise. He helped encourage me and took the baby out for a walk if I was doing a home workout or going for a quick jog.
  • Ask for help. Ask a friend, ask a parent, get a cleaning Groupon. Mental health is as important as physical health.


Life With a Baby/Toddler:
  • Give yourself another break. Kidlets go through various stages and phases. Sometimes they sleep, sometimes they don’t. Nobody likes a cranky parent, so don’t forget to take care of yourself through those sleepless nights and days. Working out can wait. Your body needs sleep to repair itself, so that’s basically a workout there.
  • Make some goals. I made a goal to go to the gym 3 times per week once my son was about 6 months old. It was simple and anything on top of that was gravy. Make sure to reevaluate as you get stronger and as your family reaches a new normal. You can surprise yourself as you knock your old goals out of the park.
  • Reward yourself. It’s hard work! When you reach a milestone (weight, distance, even consecutive hours of sleep), do something nice for yourself. I am more motivated when I have something nice to wear, so a new sports bra or yoga pants keep me going.
  • Communicate. Now that our schedule is more or less set, my hubby and I sit down each week (it literally takes two minutes) and discuss which days we have work meetings, any other commitments, and preferred workout days. My husband trains 3ish times a week for 3ish hours including his commute, while I typically wake up at 5:50 each morning to get my exercise in. But sometimes I go at night, and it’s nice to plan the week knowing where our obstacles are.
  • Involve your little ones in fitness. My son loves to ‘do yoga’ with me, we go on family hikes, and we have continued our walks together with the dog. Sometimes he still makes me carry him, and that’s a hell of a workout with a 30+ pound flailing weight.
  • Ask for help. Make your partner a shopping list, cook dinner together, ask a grandparent to babysit, or get another cleaning Groupon. You can’t do it all and asking for help is not a sign of weakness.


I have to add a disclaimer that I’m not a health professional and none of this is easy. I have lost all of the baby weight and have been maintaining it for about a year now, but sometimes I’m still completely unmotivated and I still eat too much chocolate. I’m only human. Each family works differently, but this is what has worked for us.

Thanks again to Jenn for the opportunity to post!

XOXO,

Yelena


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates