Friday, October 24, 2014

Partial Solar Eclipse

Partial Solar Eclipse, 10/23/2014
Shot with Nikon D5300, Sigma 70-300mm

There was a partial solar eclipse yesterday!  That silly stuff makes me excited.  I was so happy to remember that I'd saved a pair of cheap eclipse-viewing glasses from a trip to Australia a few years ago (yay for sentimental souvenirs!) I'm thrilled that I was able to capture a decent shot.  Actually, I'm pretty thrilled I even remembered to look at the right time. You couldn't actually tell anything was going on without special glasses or a homemade pinhole box, or something of that sort.

Aside from the sun resembling a giant smile, or a mandarin orange as Kristin pointed out to me, I love that you can see a giant sun spot.  Upon further investigation, I learned that NASA has these sun spots numbered:



Looks like the one in my picture is 2192.  My little ol' camera photographed a sun spot on a star that's 92,960,000 miles away!  Technology, people.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates