Friday, April 4, 2014

Pleased to meet you!

My name is Kristin and I am addicted to pens and paper.
The glove box in my car contains two reporter notebooks and various packs of Post-its. I’ve turned the car’s center console, built to hold a cup, into a pen holder. And I’ve got two desk drawers at home dedicated to cards, stationary, stickers and ephemera. 
I like to write. 
While the advent of the internet and email certainly makes corresponding with my closest pals faster and quicker, there’s just something about holding an actual letter in my hand. It makes the connection with my friends more real. You can probably guess that I prefer to read physical copies of books than their e-versions, can’t you?
Back in college, my Mum used to create cards and send them to me so I would have something to open and remind me of home. And when I moved into my first apartment, she was the first person to send me snail mail. 
At the same I was acquiring my new address, Jenn was moving to Guam with her Coast Guard husband on their first tour. Demi was also settling in nicely with her fiance. Pen Pal Productions began then, I suppose, when we made the decision to stay in contact through snail mail rather than Facebook. 
I mean, who doesn’t love getting fun things in the mail? Pen pal letters and cards somehow make the appearance of bills in the box a bit easier to accept.
For more than three years, the three of us have passed letters back and forth. Jenn sends a letter to Demi, who replies to Jenn and writes her own updates, and then mails Jenn’s letter and her own to me! I reply to both of them, add my own updates, put Jenn’s letter aside and mail to Jenn mine and Demi’s replies. And the cycle continues! 
Professionally, I am a reporter for and editor-in-chief of two weekly newspapers. Like I said, I like to write. And I do it - a lot. Writing cards to friends and keeping up with the pen pals is such a nice 180 from the writing I do during the day. It’s a great way to wind down.
Recently, my boyfriend of nine years, Sean, asked me to marry him and I said “YES!” So all of my free time is devoted to DIY-ing a 2015 wedding. My fiance (Oooh, first time writing that!) and I are new homeowners who are obsessed with gardening, staying active and our fur baby Kali - a sassy Siberian cat. I’ve got an affliction for anything vintage and a knack for crafty things. When I’m not sleuthing on assignment, I’m treasure hunting through antique shops, fiddling with photographs and keeping a positive attitude about life!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates