Sunday, May 4, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars (Green)

Hi, friends!  Here's another lovely book review for The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Does the story interest you?
Demi: Yes, the movie previews have been out for a while now and Kristin had told us that this book was really good and we had to read it.
Jenn: Sounded like a tear-jerker from the start.  

Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"?
D: I was immediately engaged and then totally invested. I finished the book in 24 hours, it was that good.
J: I was engaged from the get-go, the story was constantly unfolding and kept me wanting to know more.

How did you feel reading it—amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored...?
D: Hearing what the book was about I really braced myself for it to be super sad and a real year jerker which I think made me not as emotionally attached to it. The story is really well told and it was definitely moving but I don't think I more than teared up.
J: I was sad for a lot of it, but it’s written in a way that I wasn’t sobbing through each page.  It was a sweet story.

Did the main characters change by the end of the book? Do they stay the same?
Has this novel changed you—learned something new or broadened your perspective?
D: The main character is actually someone that was based on my philosophy teacher's daughter. Her name was Esther Grace Earl and she inspired John Green in his creation of Hazel Grace. Esther actually named his character before she passed and the book is dedicated to her. When I opened the book and saw her name in there is when I had some real heartfelt tears.
J: The novel really highlights how precious life is.  The characters are all fighting incredible battles, living in completely different worlds than most people, myself included, could even imagine.  The Fault in Our Stars gives you a glimpse of that world and shows you that no matter what your battle is, life (and love) continues moving full speed ahead.

What passages strike you as insightful, amusing, funny, or profound?
D: I really took to heart that a short life can be a good life. Hazel referred to herself as a grenade and refused to let herself get close to Augustus but ended up realizing that no matter how much time you have it can be filled with love.
J: I thought the underlying message was quite profound; it’s written in a way that doesn’t quite tear your heart out, but sends a strong message that, ‘hey, life is short, give it your all’.  

Were you surprised by the plot's complications? Or did you find it predictable, even formulaic?
D: I did not see the twist of Augustus' health deteriorating so quickly and him being the one to pass before the books ending. I also enjoyed the suspense and then the almost real life disappointment with Hazel's favorite author Van Houten, it wasn't nicely wrapped up in a little now which is refreshing.
J:  I was 100% caught off guard with how this book ended!  You really think you have an idea of what’s happening, then BAM! Grab some tissues!

What foods or beverages did you spill on the book during the course of reading it?
D: I'm not sure I even had time to eat while reading this one! I think I read more than half in one sitting.
J: I’m just not very good at eating and reading.

Any part of the book make you stop and think about the people in book club reading it­ did something remind you of them or it was disturbing or risqué and made you wonder how they reacted to it?
D: I couldn't help but think for Kristin and her mom and their battle with cancer and scans and traveling from cells to bones.
J: I read this book before our book club “officially” formed.

Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not...and how would you change it?
D: The ending wasn't as much satisfying as it was inspiring. A short life can be a great and full life. We dwell so much on the fact that someone is dying when we could celebrate how much life there is to live.
J:  I can’t say it was satisfying because it was very sad to me, but it couldn’t have been written any other way.  It just couldn’t.

If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask?  Does this book inspire you to read others by the same author?
D: I would love to know how this book has changed his audience and his writing. I haven't read anything from him before but this book has had such a big response that his fan base must be much different than it was a few books ago.
While I devoured this book whole I'm not sure any other would strike me as something I would need to read immediately. He is more of a young adult fiction writer and I'm more of a nonfiction memoir lover. Esther's memoir is next on my list, This Star Won't Go Out.

J: I haven’t actually looked into any of his other novels.  I don’t know a lot about this author, I’d admittedly only heard of the book when the movie was announced.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates