Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Demi's Garden: Day 1

Apologies for the blog-neglect! We all have been super busy but I'm here to share a garden update! 




Isn't it so hopeful and beautiful!? 

I'm going to try really hard to keep them happy and healthy. I have a bit of a brown thumb when it comes to plants but I am dedicated to getting SOMETHING out of this little garden. 
After a little more research, I decided that square-foot gardening was the method I wanted to try first. This method is kind of like a vertical garden, each square-foot supports one super healthy (and hopefully productive) plant.

So here is the finished plan, based on what they had at the garden store (we went to That Bloomin' Place in Weymouth) :
I read that marigolds are are good companion plants for tomatoes and peppers so I added a square foot of them so we'll see how that goes. I hope I didn't waste a square on flowers but plants need friends too! 
The Mr. measured out a foot on each side and used a little nail to hold some kitchen twine so that we could separate our square-foot sections neatly.

We spent $25 at the garden store so I'm praying that we at least get one fruit or veggie out of this plan. Super low expectations will yield a high reward, right?

We had a lot of extra plant babies so I grabbed whatever pots I could find and planted them all around the garden. I suspect a few of them will outgrow their pots but that is for a different day.

The left overs were,

Broccoli:

3 tomatoes and 3 peppers:
and 2 brussel sprouts (not pictured.)

I also picked up some strawberries, because every garden needs a few strawberry plants:



In other plant news, our gerber daisies have returned! These guys were planted in 2009 as a way to cheer up the side of our apartment. We have let the flower heads dry and make seeds, let the leaves cover them in the fall, and the snow pack on them in the winter, and every year they have faithfully returned to greet us in the spring. I remember talking to Brendan about how we could plant different colors every year because they are supposed to be annual but these flowers are here to stay. We have a theory that the brick wall and the heat from the house keep this strip of soil super warm all year. I love seeing their little heads bloom all summer.


This is Chloe, she loves to watch me garden from the kitchen windowsill.


An avocado experiment by the Mr., he thinks he will get a tree out if this set-up, check back and see.


If you need me I will be here, tending to this garden's every need. Wish me luck?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates