Thursday, October 2, 2014

Big Kid Room on a Budget

My two year old officially has a big boy room!  It’s been in transition for quite some time.  He had a pretty sweet toddler car bed for a few months but it felt like it was time for a real bed, with a real mattress.  At the same time, I didn’t want to spend a whole lot of money since I plan on buying the boys some *real* furniture after our next move, probably bunk beds with matching dressers and all that jazz (a PBK bedding splurge will probably happen as well, woot!)  Anyway, little man needed an upgrade with a small budget and I’m pretty proud of the outcome.


We bought him a trundle bed that was on sale and came pre-assembled, much to my husband’s relief. The wood in no way matches the dresser he already had, but I think we can all live with that for a while.  I will say, I had daydreams of sanding and repainting that dresser but then we realized what bad shape it’s truly in when we went to move it and it all but fell apart on us (is this an ikea trend? I have to admit, as much as I love their store and their prices, their furniture does not tend to hold up well in big moves).  I’m pretty sure it would not survive a move outside to paint.  So in that corner it shall stay until 2016.  

I have two Pinterest projects in that room: the ikea spice racks as book shelves, and the photos on the wall I took of Mr. Man’s favorite toys.  I painted the unfinished Walmart frames blue and gray, it took all of maybe an hour.  The photos themselves are probably my favorite part of the room because, how cute are they!?  The original Pinterest post suggests having engineer prints made at Office Depot but, alas, resources are quite limited here and that just wasn’t an option for me.  Besides, the frames are adorable and bring some extra color into the room.  


His sheets are from Target, dinosaurs, and the adorable monster quilt was handmade by grandma.  It’s toddler-bed size but it’s still a great size for the twin bed, as well as for my son himself at bed time.  In fact, we don’t even actually utilize the blue comforter yet, he sleeps on top of it, choosing instead to use his three favorite blankets to stay warm instead.  This suits everyone fine because technically his bed stays made :)

Oh, and let's not forget the road rug.  Every child deserves a road rug.  This one happens to also be from Ikea.


All in all I think everything looks adorable.  His room is pretty small, so I was pleased to see the twin bed fit just fine.  This whole transition took only a few hours total and there have been no meltdowns over any of the changes to date (*knock on wood*), so I think it’s safe to say my son approves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates