Friday, October 3, 2014

Fitness Friday

Being healthy has become a big part of my life.  Well, I suppose it always has been, but I’ve been extra focused after birthing two humans.  It’s hard to see the body you’ve known all your life change with pregnancy, but especially reaching a level of acceptance with your postpartum body.  It’s just. Not. The same. 

I’ve lost most of my pregnancy weight.  In fact, if we’re counting (which I am), I only have 5 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight.  I’m one of those women that seemingly annoy other women because I drop baby weight quickly.  However, that doesn’t mean my body hasn’t changed from my own version of normal.  That doesn’t mean that I’m comfortable with the way I look or that I’m ready to settle with ‘good enough’.  

I wanted to start Fitness Friday posts because 1) I need the motivation, 2) I like seeing my progress, and 3) I want to share the journey with others.  But I’m torn on how to go about doing that.

Originally, I was going to post weekly photos of my progress but I’m not sure I want to do that just yet.  While I would love to share my progress, I also don’t believe that women should be comparing themselves to other women- especially when it comes to postpartum bodies.  We are all different shapes and sizes and at varying levels of healthy.  Honestly, I’m tired of the focus that gets put in this area in general.  I don’t want to contribute to that, but at the same time I do want to be more healthy for me, for my husband, and for my boys.  One of the hardest parts of being pregnant with a toddler, for me, was the inability to run around with him, to lift him, to chase him, to be physically active with him.  I never want to feel that way again, and that’s my biggest motivator to get into shape.  That’s the one thing I think about when I don’t think I can push any further. 

I’d be lying if I said part of me didn’t care what my actual body looked like, that if I was healthy then that’s all that matters.  I wish that’s how it was, but it’s not.  Like I said, I don’t want to settle.  I know that my belly button will never look the same, and I am okay with that- there’s literally nothing I can do about that.  But I also know that I *can* find my abs again, I *can* tone my arms and legs, and I *can* be stronger.  And if it’s something I *can* change, and *want* to change, then dammit, I’m going to change it.

I think one of the biggest hurdles for moms is time.  Especially in the first months, even year, after giving birth.  You’ve got this tiny person (or two, or three) who needs you all. the. time.  You’re lacking sleep and sanity.  You might be heading back to work or starting as a first time stay at home mom, learning to balance family schedules and meals and naps and diapers.  It’s HARD, everyone knows it’s hard, yet everyone tries to pretend they can do it all.  And maybe some people can, but I can’t.  And if you’re like me, you have to go out of your way to make time for yourself.  That might mean anything from a pedicure to going for a drive, alone, or working out.  

The bottom line is if deep-down YOU don’t want to work out, you aren’t going to see much progress.  If you don’t want to be doing something, you’re not going to give it your best and if you don’t give it your best, you aren’t going to be satisfied with your results because your expectations are too high.  If you’re dieting and heading to the gym because you think society is judging your postpartum body, take a step back and think about your priorities.  Think about the fact that your body alone kept a human being alive for 10 months. Really, think about it!  It’s pretty freakin’ awesome.  Everyone needs some sort of motivation.  Find yours, and hold on like hell.  


So for now, I’m not going to post progress photos.  I’m going to take them for my own record and leave it at that.  Instead, in the future, I'll just post about what's on my mind, what I'm eating, how I'm exercising, and what's keeping me motivated.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates