Monday, October 27, 2014

Top 10 Toddler iPad Apps

We are not a technology-free family.  More power to those who are but I honestly don’t know how we’d get by without the iPad some days.  Or in restaurants.  Always in restaurants.  My toddler has been using an iPad since he was 5 months, when Grandma downloaded Giggle Gang.  And the truth is, I’m not ashamed. 

I’m not even ashamed to admit that after our first iPad was shattered in a horrific puddle-dropping accident, we rushed out to buy a new one within 24 hours.  It was that important. 

I could go on about how we are a technology-driven society, how I grew up with NES and SNES and turned out fantastic, but I’ll save my breath.  I’m already aware it’s one of those infamous mommy-guilt hot topics and I don’t care to get involved too heavily in that.  I will leave it at this: I don’t believe that technology, in moderation, is bad; it’s not going to ruin my child, and honestly, I’ll be damned if an iPad app didn’t teach my son the entire alphabet.  I

So, in celebration of the iPad, I’d like to list my 2 year old’s top ten favorite apps.  There’s so many out there to choose from and I’m constantly changing and upgrading them as he masters them.  Quite honestly, he amazes me by how much he picks up and he utilizes skills that he learns, like shapes, colors, numbers, and letters, in the outside world as well.  Oh, and finding random toddler selfies?  Priceless.  

1) Originator’s Endless Learning Bundle
These are hands-down my son’s favorite set of apps. Included is Endless ABC’s, Endless 123’s, and Endless Reader.  

2) Tiny Hands Super Bundle
Right now we have TinyHands sorting 1 and 2, Lotto 1, and What’s my pair?  The super bundle includes ALL of the TinyHands apps, but it’s pricey.  So it might be more optimal to pick and choose.  However, these are great apps and the super bundle includes all ten of them.  So really, at $20, you’re only really paying $2/each for endless, educational entertainment. 

3) Writing Wizard
This is a new one for us, and a little above a 2 year old skill level, but basically it teaches kids to write letters and words.  My son shows some interest in it which, historically for him, seems to be a precursor to it becoming a favorite down the road so I felt the need to include it on this list. 

4) Reading Rainbow
Just do it.  Support a good cause. 

5) Petting Zoo
This is a weird one.  This app, I’m convinced, has no actual point.  But my child and his friends are obsessed with it and will literally mess around with it for an entire meal out.  So it’s worth noting.

6) Trucks HD
If your kiddo hearts trucks as much as mine, this is a great one.  It’s not super educational, though there’s a section that teaches the differences between compost, recyclables, and trash, so that’s kinda neat.  

7) KidsDoodle and Drawing Pad
I’ve bundled these two together as our go-to artsy apps.  No crayons? No worries!  These are basically just painting apps with all the pretty colors.  This is a good app for us to play with together on the go because I can draw shapes or faces and ask him what they are.  And then he can copy me.  

8) Peek-a-Zoo and Peek-a-Zoo HD
Animals FTW! 

9) Elmo Calls
Okay, this game is pretty annoying, but it certainly taught my son the art of face timing.  I felt it was worth noting for any die-hard Sesame Street fans out there. I believe there are other characters that can “call” your child as w
ell.

10) Flash Apps’ Baby Flash Cards
This one incorporates all that is preschool as far as numbers, colors, shapes, animals, etc.  It’s not as fun as other apps, IMO, but my son still enjoys it none-the-less.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed ByBlogger Templates